Thursday, July 19, 2018

Larry Russell #199 and #200: A double slice of cake

LeConte Lodge cook Heather Barker presents a cake to Larry Russell. (Photo from highonleconte.com)

 Congratulations to Larry Russell, who climbed the Alum Cave Bluff Trail twice on Wednesday, July 18, to join the exclusive list of hikers who have 200 ascents of Mount Le Conte. Larry is just the 26th person in our records (21 men and five women) to reach that threshold. 
The milestone was celebrated by the staff at Le Conte Lodge and announced in a post on the Lodge blog: "All of our crew are always excited to see Larry when he makes his trip up (not just because of the treats he brings us). Great job Larry and here's to 200 more!"
 Russell is a retired policeman from Covington, Tennessee, who now lives in Sevierville. He also climbed Le Conte twice in a day back on Aug. 7, 2014, to mark his 99th and 100th ascents. He wrote on Facebook: "I will continue hiking that mountain as long as I'm able, but I don't think I will hike it twice in one day again. A couple of my hiking buddies said I should hike it three times when I get to 300. These are the same ones that said I need to get married, so I don't pay much attention to their advice."
 Larry is making steady progress toward 300. On May 12, 2019, he signed in at the Lodge with #226. 


 
IF YOU ARE READING THIS ON YOUR PHONE, you will need to switch from the mobile view to full screen (iPhone users click on "View web version" below) to see our Honor Roll and enjoy the full breadth of the information we've accumulated.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I know Larry is a great hiker. He had been teaching me to hike and he definitely knows those mountains. Proud of his accomplishments! ⛰

    ReplyDelete